Wild River Explorer
The Wild River Explorer is a three-day, two-night camping safari circuit conducted along the scenic but little visited Wild River. This walk is an extension of the Wild River Ramble. This walk is suitable for families and younger children older than 9 years.
We camp on sandy beaches with natural waterholes suitable for swimming and pass a variety of landscapes and vegetation, including the rugged Wild River cataracts.We see examples of the extensive lava flows caused by ancient volcanoes. The bird list for the area is more than 120 species. There is ample time to spot for the smaller and more elusive species. Platypus inhabit some reaches of the Wild River including one waterhole on which we camp.We dine well with all food cooked over open fires with time to enjoy a chat over the dying embers or observe the ceiling of stars from your comfortable stretcher bed. Wine is served with dinner.
Wild River Cataracts
Day One. Meet and finalise the packing of the donkeys. Then a short day though river flats and stands of Forest Red Gums to camp at "Bullocks Crossing" on the Wild River. There is time to explore the local history, settle into their camping routine, and perhaps be fortunate to see the platypus in the waterhole next to the camp.
Day Two. After repacking the donkeys, we follow an original packing road to a campsite with a sandy beach and swimming pools with a short morning tea en-route. Hidden on a bend on the Wild River, this pristine campsite is only accessible on foot. Time enjoy a late lunch then explore the cataracts and a relaxing swim in the many clear pools.
Day Three. We cross the river and return along the eastern hand bank with some splendid views, pausing for lunch where we re-cross the river. We then close the circuit to Kalinvale by retracing our steps along the river flats with tall Forest Red Gums.
What to Bring: Change of clothes, swimmers, toiletries, drink water bottle (2 litres), hat, enclosed shoes, camera. It is recommended to wear long trousers or legging type gaiters due to the long grass. We can provide sleeping bags at a nominal cleaning fee or bring your own. Please be prepared to ford the river on some walks in shallow waters and sandy crossings.
- We rate this walk as "Comfortable".
- This walk is suitable for families and younger children older than 9 years.
- The donkeys carry chairs, tables, tents, and camp stretcher beds for use by guests.
- Sleeping bags may be hired from Wilderness Expeditions at a nominal rate of $20.00 to cover cleaning expenses.
- Vegetarian and special diets catered for by request. At least two working days notice is required to arrange/ acquire ingredients.
- Kalinvale Farm is on the western bank of the Wild River necessitating crossing a gravel ford. Low clearance cars may not be suitable to attempt this crossing. Cars may be parked on the near riverbank if required.
- Connecting Transport/ Pick up: Connecting transport by arrangement from Cairns and Tableland centres at additional cost. Walk start/ finish is Kalinvale Farm, Kalunga approximately 10 km south of Herberton. See Google Earth map: Look up Kalinvale Farm or Wilderness Expeditions, Kalunga.
- Walk length is approximately 30 km (10-15 km per day). This is suitable for younger children older than 9 years.Please note that children may not ride the donkeys due to insurance limitations and unsuitability of the packsaddles.
- This walk is conducted on a mix of grazing lease and public estate. Due to recent wild dog poisoning campaigns pet dogs may not be taken.
- Wilderness expeditions requires a minimum of 24 hours to complete provisioning etc so at least 24 hours notice is required for confirmed bookings.
Alfresco Breakfast On the Wild River