The Mount Jesus Circuit
Mount “Jesus” is a high knoll that is connected to the Great Dividing Range.
The Great Dividing Range is located just west of Herberton. The summit is about 1000m high which is quite high for this part of the world. There are good views from the summit of Herberton, the Evelyn Tablelands and across to Silver Valley.
The hill is the site of the ” Anti-Socialist” Mine. The name is probably a link to the Union movement expanded and organised by “Red Ted” Theodore who became the premier of Queensland in 1919 after a career as union secretaries in miner and sugar worker unions in the Herberton and Irvinebank districts. He later became a Federal Cabinet Minister and Treasurer.
The Anti-Socialist mine was worked for tin. There are also a number of stone walls on the summit, which are a legacy of the Australian 6th and 9th AIF Divisions training for the WWII Pacific Campaign in the Herberton-Watsonville area. The stone walls are probably “sangars” built to protect observation parties as they practiced artillery bombardments onto targets along the Walsh River and west of Watsonville.
The itinerary is:
- 8.00 AM meet the donkeys and finalise packing, safety talk.
- 8.30 AM depart Kalinvale and explore some mining history as we make our way to a spot on the Wild River to boil the billy for morning tea.
- Then we turn west and ascend Mount Jesus for some mountain air and views and inspect the WWII relicts with a commentary to explain why they were built.
- After descending the steep hill track we make our way along a creek covered in Grass trees (Xanthorrhoea Sp). This is spectacular when the grass trees are in flower.
- We return to the Wild River for a picnic lunch near a swimming hole.
- About 4.00PM.We return to Kalinvale to unsaddle and farewell the donkeys.
- Rating is: Comfortable.
- Distance: approximately 11 km.
- Walking conditions: Undulating open forest with one steep ascent/descent (to the summit) on a rough cattle pad.
- Possible sightings of wallabies, Grey Kangaroos, Wallaroos, goannas.
- Good views from the summit of Mount “Jesus”.
- Pack donkeys to carry luggage and lunch,
- Morning tea,
- Picnic lunch, and
- Guide/ experienced packer, and
- commentary regarding features and history of the district.
- Start and finish is Kalinvale Farm approximately 10 km south of Herberton. Directions provided on booking is confirmed.
- Departures are on demand. We request 24 hours notice to prepare the picnic lunch.